AESEDA has partnerships with several universities, government agencies and private companies in Nigeria. As a result these institutions came together to form AESEDA Nigeria. In addition, AESEDA has an agreement with the NiIgerian Universities Commission (the government agency with oversight of public institutions of higher education in Nigeria). Through this relationship, Penn State is in a position to partner with all Nigerian universities.
AESEDA Nigeria was commissioned in June 2006 with nine Nigerian universities as participating partners (University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Jos, University of Port Harcourt, Federal University of Technology Yola, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Rivers State University of Science and Technology and the Niger Delta University). The project is domiciled in the National Universities Commission, Abuja.
The first national workshop on the role of AESEDA Nigeria was conducted with the aim of creating awareness for the establishment of AESEDA Nigeria and evolving strategies for its operations. The workshop identified the following areas of priority attention for AESEDA Nigeria:
- Oil and Gas,
- Solid Minerals Development, and
- Environment and Sustainability
In line with the AESEDA Nigeria’s framework for Priority Action, national workshops were conducted as follows:
- National Workshop on the Role of AESEDA Nigeria in Capacity Building for the Sustainable Management of Nigeria’s Geo-Resources held at the National Universities Commission between 27th and 28th of July 2006;
- National Workshop on Environmental Degradation and Sustainable Livelihood in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria held between 25th and 28 of February 2007 at Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt;
- The National Workshop on Solid Minerals Development in Nigeria to hold between 2nd and 5th June 2008 at the University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State.
Return to Partnerships page